Friday, November 13, 2009

I Don't Need a Leader

I don’t need some one to lead me for I am not a follower. I want some one to stand up and say who will go with me? Ever hear of Ben Milam, folks? Old Ben is not well known outside of Texas and sadly, probably not well remembered in Texas either.
In the early days of Texas’ struggle with Mexico, politicians were doing as politicians do today, posturing, dealing, and trying to find advantages that could be exploited. The army, such as it was in only the broadest stretch of the term, was merely a group of volunteers trying to make heads or tails out the whole thing. There had been a few scrapes, hardly battles, and no one seemed to know what to do next.
So, finally as the leaders argued and the volunteers dwindled and went back home, Ben Milam stood up and said, “Who will go with Old Ben?” Then he took up his rifle and went to into San Antonio de Bexar with is men, not leading them and took the city from the Mexican garrison. It took nearly a week of bloody house to house fighting, but in the end, Bexar was in Texan hands and Old Ben was dead.
My point is that we don’t leaders. We don’t need or want a messiah posturing, posing in rolled up sleeves pretending to be of the people. Folks, I’m talking about both sides of the aisle here, Democrat or Republican; Liberal or Conservative, they have either forgotten us or don’t care anymore. I’m so sick of people saying “Follow Me! I know the Way!” I want some one to just get up and go and let me decide for myself if I want to go with him/her. Our country is overrun with self-serving aggrandizing “leaders” (in their minds not mine) that posture, make claims both true and half-true. Some are even outright liars and make no bones about it. Either they think we’re sheep or they just don’t care. I can’t stand either stupidity or condescension in a person of power and now they seem to be crossbreeding to combine both traits in one.
Where is that person, who when needed most, will just stand up and go? When he does, how many of will go with that person? I’m pretty sure I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment