Thursday, November 26, 2009

Hittin' the "Double Nickels"

Wow, It's almost here. That day, the day I turn 55. who woulda thunk it? There are friends of mine from way back who woulda given good odds I'd never make it. Seems I was always doing something to make sure I didn't. But then in those days we were young and bullet proof.
As I look back over the past 54 plus years, I wonder if everybody is having the same thoughts I am. Where the heck did it go? Don't get me wrong, this isn't some geezer ruminating over a misspent life. People, I had fun! I have something only God Himself can take from me; I have memories!
Seems people are talking about their "to-do or bucket" lists. You know, if you've waited till now to start living; I don't care how successfull you are, you've shortchanged yourself.
So, Instead of telling what I'm going to do before I die, I'm going to tell you a little of what I've done to live.

I grew up in a small town.
I learned a lot from living in a house full of females.
I made friends that I have to this day.
I got my first kiss.
I fell in love for the first time.
I learned that hay barns aren't just for storing hay.
I got my heart broken for the first time.
I got to play Texas high school football.
I got my first pickup.
I got my first ticket.
I rode in my first rodeo.
I learned that beer is good.
I learned that golf is not an easy game.
I saw a lot of the world from the deck of a Destroyer.
I made friends in the Navy that I have to this day.
I rodeoed and made more friends.
I went fishing with my brothers.
I fell in love again.
I helped raise three daughters who mean the world to me.
I've made friends from all over the country.
I've seen parts of Texas that some people will never get to see.
I've been down the Guadalupe River with friends and family.
I've stood beore the Alamo and said thank you to the men who died there.
I fell in love for the last time.
I've seen the sun set over the Grand Canyon.
I stood In John Wayne's footprints.
I've danced with my wife at Gruene Hall.
I've taken my grandkids to town for a coke.
I've had me two of the best dogs a man could ever hope to have.
I've seen things and met people that have impacted my life in ways only I can know.

You see, I haven't done a lot of grand things, I just add up all the little ones to get the sum total. I learned doing all those things that though life isn't fair, it will let ya take out of it what you put into it. And I for one, would much rather have my moments and memories, than to regret anything I haven't done or didn't get to do.

1 comment:

  1. what a life! you sure don't seem 55 to me...you live the life a man half your age. i love you!!!

    ReplyDelete