Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Questing For the Perfect Burger...

  Howdy! I think I'd like to let y'all in on something about  me; I happen to think the Cheeseburger is nature's perfect meal. It has, meat, veggies, dairy, and bread all in one easy to handle package. Toss some fries or rings on the side and I'm one happy camper.
   Now when I say cheeseburger, I don't mean one from fast food joints or chains; I mean the good old-fashioned, cooked on a flat-top,  drippy, bun toasted masterpeice that you have to hunch over to eat where you have to change napkins after every bite!
 I have been having a "food-mance" with burgers since a young kid and have eaten them around most of the country and in other parts of the world. I've had them made with various types of meat ranging from water buffalo to ostrich and have come to the conclusion that beef works best, preferably an 80/20 blend which is your basic ground chuck.
  Other criteria include and this is just my opinion mind you, are: mustard, lettuce,  red onion, pickles and tomato.  Cheese should be yellow. Some will say ketchup on it, but I prefer to have ketchup on plate for an occasional sop or two. Note: you hand me a burger with mayo or Thousand Island  Dressin and I'll hand it back.  Some folks like to get all fancy and "Metro" with their creations, but to me if you need to dress it up a lot..... you must be trying to hide something. I admit to likin green chiles on one from time to time and won't turn down a slice or two of bacon and even some chili(no beans)on it from time to time. I' ve tried some of those boutique burgers with all the fancy uptown trimmin's and well, they just kinda lose me.
 OK, now that y'all know what I look for and well, have been questin' for, I'm gonna let you in on some of the best of the best, I've found so far. So here goes..... and these are more chronological than rank.....

Granny Carter's: Granny used a cast iron skillet and had a sear on the patty that was unbelievable. Nice thick patties that would literally shoot juice into mouth with each bite. Fresh tomatoes, greasy buns, and she'd even toast top of bun with meat grease!  Heaven in a meal! I asked her over and over to show me how she did it but she said men kill meat, women cook meat.

Sam's "Stuckey-burger": Sam wrote the book on makin' burgers. He had a small joint bout mid-way between the High School and Jr High back in Bowie and bout lunch time you could smell them from both places. Sam used the juice from patty to toast the bun. Wow what flavor it gave the burger. He also like to run  his spatula over the top bun to give it a little sheen and added flavor. he used basic seasonings but some how, magic occured when he cooked them.

Hamburger Ed: Ed has a little burger an burrito joint up in Pampa he opened in an abandoned gas station. Do not laugh, the best burgers will come from places like his. What makes Ed's so good apart from the ambience is the blend of seasonings. It will send your salivary glands into overdrive. Add to the fact I don't think he has ever bricked his griddle which sees a lot of action and you have wandered into a place that time seems to have forgotten but I bet you won't ever forget Ed and his burgers.

The Dixie Pig: When Jane and I moved to Abilene, it opened a whole new search area for me while our kitchen was gutted during our remodel. We had eaten there from time to time while visiting, but it bacame our substitute kitchen and when I got around to ordering a burger from there, I wanted to kick myself for not doing it sooner. They serve a classic cafe burger with all the trimmin's and cooked to perfection. Add the cheap price and you have a real gem there. Nice size patty and well proportioned veggies; and the atmoshphere is great.

Gloria's: We just tried this place last week and I still drool just thinking about it. Has to be one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. The small is a half pounder and to eat it you almost have to be able to unhinge  your jaw. The hunch is definitely is in play here. The patty is hand worked and the bun is toasted to perfection with just the right sheen on the top bun to make it greasy enough to make lips shine. You almost need a fresh napkin after each bite. You might even wanna wrap napkins round round wrists to save cuffs, it's so juicy.

Okay, one final note here. I said I wouldn't rate or pick any chains, but I'm going to bend that rule a little. In/Out Burgers are killer. They serve a simple burger and it is awesome.  I've eaten at several of them while travelling and will tell you, it's worth the wait. One of the reasons I'm bending the rule is they serve burgers, period! You want a salad, scrape off your burger!

 Well, there you have my thoughts and picks. I'm always on the lookout for a great burger so if y'all have any suggestions, I'm ready to listen and try; for as we all know, a quest  must never end.....


 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've had some of these burgers you mention. I agree that The Pig's burger is pretty good, but Gloria's comes closer to Hamburger Ed's "perfection". OMG....his is without a doubt, hands down, the winner in this category!

    ReplyDelete