Saturday, October 8, 2011

Date Night and Cary Grant

Last night was the capper on a great day Jane and I like to call a "Hooky Day". With our conflicting work schedules, we have to plan to have a day off together, so we've come to call them hooky days. Y'all remember playing hooky, don't you? Skipping school or a class once in a while for some reason?
Last night was the topper to a great hooky day. We went out on a date. I tried to make it as real a date as possible by slipping out on a pretext and came back home with flowers. Then I rang the doorbell so I could "pick her up". A dozen roses and a quiet supper together before heading off to the Paramount to see the perfect date movie: North By Northwest with Cary Grant.
Ah, Cary, he was the master of the suave and urbane. His sense of timing and humor are unmatched and when it came to classy, he was in a leaugue of his own. His manners are impeccable and even after doing battle with a crop duster, he still looked like he was ready for cocktails and dinner.
I think we men could take a lesson or two from him. Sometimes we tend to take the women in our lives for granted, forgetting how special they are in our lives and all the little things they do for us to make our male lives tolerable. Face it, we are not the best at taking care of ourselves. Not the big things, but the little things such as picking up the laundry, doing the Christmas cards, picking out the right colors for painting the house and in general, makin the house a home.
So over the years, I've tried to take a few lessons from Cary. I like to bring flowers once in a while for no other reason that to show her I care and she's important to me. When we go out, I try to look as well groomed as possible and make her feel as special as she is to me. I have a long way to go, but I like to think I'm getting there.

1 comment:

  1. And I love the extra effort you make when it comes to "dating"! The doorbell and the flowers were a really nice touch. Had a great time and enjoyed the movie - I'm such a sucker for Cary Grant movies. Glad we enjoy and appreciate the same things!!!

    ReplyDelete