Wednesday, September 22, 2010

And They Call it Football?

   I used to think that the "Europeanization"(my word) or Liberalization of America would come from either the government ot all the libreal educators in this country. Boy was I wrong! It's coming on all the soccer(football?) fields across the country.
   I have tried and tried to wrap my head around this game. forget the strategies and nuances, I can't even grasp the basics. I mean my gosh, I have no idea what's going on. Guess I'm too old and set in ways to  understand a game that a miss is cheered.
   So, in order to see if I might understand the game better, I thought I'd note all the diferrences between soccer( sorry, I can't bring myself to call it football) and football. Now mind you I'm talkin bout kids playin' here so bear that in mind.
  • The Basics (as I see it): In football, you run a set of plays to move the ball. In soccer  the team runs  up and down the field kicking to one another will-nilly.
  • Uniforms: In football, you wear pads and everbody has the same uniform. In soccer, the  team wears shorts  and the goalie has on a diferent shirt?
  • Team names: Football- Rams, Lions, Raiders, Bears, Etc. Soccer- Wind, Breeze, Storm, Etc.
  • Player Nicknames: Football- Hacksaw, Moose, Bubba, Etc. Soccer( I swear to God I'm not making this up)- Pookie, Boo-Boo, Sweetie, Baby and there wasn't a girl on either team!
  • The Field: Football has an endzone and goalposts. Soccer has a net.
  • Football: receiver drops a pass inn the endzone and coach might yank him. Soccer: player makes a kick on goal and misses and everybody cheers?
   It seems like soccer is kinda for lack of a better word,"wimpifyin' " our younger generation.  The coaches don't seem to emphasize winning along with the basics of the game. To me, that should go hand in hand. Why practice and work hard to learn the skills then be told it's not important who wins?
To me, that just drives home what I'm trying to say about all this... soccer is a game for Liberals,where intentions matter more than results. And, if you don't have to worry about losing, then how will you ever know how it feels to win?

No comments:

Post a Comment